I don't remember the last time I had a good day because I simply don't have good days anymore. They don't allow me. They kill my good days. They make me feel inferior. They make me think that I was a mistake, that I don't deserve a good day. They take away my right to be happy. Who are they?
They are random people I come across when I'm walking home. They are men! Very creepy men. Men who insult women or girls walking on the street. Why? Why am I being insulted by these people? What crime did I commit? Going to university? Not having a car? Or is because I am a female?
And when I say men, I mean men of ages that range from around late teens to sixties, from all races. Why? They may say religion( (Islam in this case) says that a woman shouldn't travel alone but my reply to them is no religion in the world allows you to verbally harass people for no reason. I'm not the only one who suffers from this, many of my friends do. Its a problem in many countries. Why isn't anyone talking? Why isn't anyone trying to solve this? Until when will women have to pay the price of having 2 X chromosomes?
Why do people turn a blind eye on this? Why do they choose to keep it locked away? Why are we supposed to suffer in silence?
After suffering from this for a long time now, I have figured out ways to reduce the number of creeps who verbally harass me. I now always wear a hoodie, put on sunglasses, put on headphones. I think it makes me look unapproachable. A little advice to all the women and girls out there, take different routes everyday, you never know who may be following you.
And my message to all the creeps out there, you can be creepy all you want, this will not stop me from walking, this will not stop me from getting education. No it will motivate me to work until I reach a position where I can rid the world of people like you!
What a creepy world we live in!! ...and I thought our community is a conservative one and such acts are extinct by now!! :(
ReplyDeleteTeens' acts are expected anyways (not accepted, only expected!), but GROWN-ASS MEN...WTF?!
What I think is that the harassment you face is partially because of the way you dress *not judging*, and not solely because you walk alone down the street! ... which is of course not a justification of what you face!
See, I think some people live with this sick theory: "if she's not wearing a Hijab and an Abaya, she's a hooker and men are allowed to say/do whatever they want to her; she brought it on herself"!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, God has commanded women to wear Hijab..etc, but He and only He is the one to judge them!!
You should be aware that God did not forbid a woman to walk down the street alone!! What is forbidden is "traveling" alone!...which is irrelevant anyway in this situation.
Also, you should be aware that, el7amdellah, the UAE has laws against such acts!
"Whoever attempts to disgrace a female by words or by deeds in a public street or frequented place, shall be punished by detention for a period not exceeding one year and by a fine not exceeding ten thousand Dirhams, or by either of these two penalties." (Article 359 in GCC's Penal Code)
The source in Arabic: http://www.gcc-legal.org/mojportalpublic/DisplayLegislations.aspx?country=2&LawID=2767
P.S. Keep the positive attitude! :)
Thanks!
ReplyDeleteBut no, its not supposed to be 'expected' from teen agers either. They are not religious. They are hypocrites.